Sunday, 8 November 2009

West Register House,Edinburgh

West Register House in Charlotte Square contains the West search room of the N.A.S. Built in 1811 as St.George's Church to the design by Robert Adam it was supposed to mirror another church built at the axial end of George St in St Andrews Square.This was never built and instead the Dundas Mansion of the Royal Bank of Scotland stands in its place. The church closed due to a falling congregation and severe dry rot problems and was taken over by the Scottish Record Office (now the National Archives of Scotland) in 1964.
The West Search Room contains:
  • Scottish Office and Scottish Government records
  • Court records of Court of Session,High Court of Justiciary after 1800
  • Sheriff Court records excluding wills
  • Divorces to 1983
  • Rail,canal,coal,gas,electric,steel industries records
  • business records
  • maps and plans

3 comments:

Comments welcome: