Sunday, 6 February 2011
This fine neoclassical building designed by William Playfair (1790-1857) is home to the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Established on 1 July 1505 when the Barber Surgeons of Edinburgh were incorporated as a Craft Guild of the City,the college with the university and infirmary has played an eminent role in surgical training and research.
Many Scots and those of Scottish descent have medical relations who trained at the medical school of Edinburgh University. Those who took medical degrees can be traced from the university records.Some became surgeons by licentiate or fellowship examinations and the minutes of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh commencing in 1581 record names of successful candidates. A List of Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh from 1581-1873 was published by the college in 1874 .For more information about historical and family history enquiries contact the college at
and also pay a visit to the very popular museum.